SiriusXM Satellite Radio - Beware of the Sirius/XM Lifetime subscription scam

Jul 18, 2012
review #332822

I purchased a lifetime Sirius/XM subscription for $580 in July 2010.Two years later, I sold my car and wanted to transfer my subscription to my new car.

When I inquired about the process, a customer service rep told me that lifetime subscriptions aren't transferable nor are any discounts offered to customers like me who purchase another car and want Sirius/XM service.

Instead, the customer service rep lectured me for not reading the company's multi-page, single spaced license that species that "lifetime" subscriptions don't follow a subscriber when he or she changes vehicles.

I've learned my lesson: never again will I subscribe to any Sirius/VM service.With the many low to no cost Internet-based radio services now available, who needs Sirius/XM?

9689c53
Had an experience with SiriusXM Satellite Radio?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Snoopy

Sep 01 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Very true. With Sprint unlimited internet who needs SiriusXM. Want Howard Stern? Stream him from YouTube. All his shows are there just a day later.

JR

Jan 02

I am in the same boat. I am filing a class action investigation against the company. I started on this site- http://www.abingtonlaw.com/Sirius-XM-Satellite-Radio-class-action.html.
To add to the lifetime subscription BS, SiriusXM Radio allowed the new owner of the car to access my account and personal information on the phone and online. He changed all the new contact information to his own and left mine as billing so he could charge anything to my account and view my personal information at anytime. BOY AM I AM ONE PISSED OFF CUSTOMER. I feel violated.

JOhn

Dec 19, 2013 Norwalk, Connecticut

I subscribed to a lifetime plan also for over $500. THey just sent me an invoice and are telling me that I only had a 3 year plan. This is bs.

mel

May 27

Just read your complaint about Sirius. I am having the same problem. My credit card was just billed (auto renewal) for another 3 yr. subscription even though I bought a life subscription 3 yrs. ago. They didn't send me an invoice - I found out from my credit card statement. The am't is in dispute now, but wondered if you got it straightened out, and if so, what did you do? Thx a bunch.

Jetfire70

Nov 22, 2013

The SiriusXM Lifetime is not transferable on cars. I don't know about portable units.When my dad got his Lifetime Subscription on his new Rav4, the CSR told him a number of times that it was not transferable. I think the only way that you may be able to transfer it is a accident or equipment failure.

3 1 Reply
Jason

Nov 07, 2013 Tarzana, California

These *** offs are the absolute worst people on the planet and I hope they go to ***. I have been HUNG UP on four consecutive times I have called. The dealership canceled my subscription on my car when I sold it without alerting me and SiriusXM allowed them to do it without notifying me at all. I wanted to reactivate my service and now they aren't allowing me to cause "I CANCELED" it. Now they are saying that you can't transfer services from car to car when I was allowed to do it twice, most recently in 2011. I am beyond irate and at the point of no return.

chargerdc

Nov 04, 2013 Minneapolis, Minnesota

a new scam to look out for from siruisxm...i bought a car in 2008 from a guy who bought it from a dealership in 2006. the dealership told him it had an xm radio lifetime subscription and he subsequently told me the same. i've driven the car for almost 6 years without a hitch, jamming away to the latest hits, never paying a dime, never even contacting xm about the account. then the other day my subscription was abruptly deactivated. i called xm and they had no history at all on the account, even after i gave them the vin#, previous owner's name, and the dealership he purchased the car from. all they had on file for this radio was that it was activated for a free trial on 7/29/2013, and that trial ended on 11/1/2013. wtf!?! absolutely no record of any activity on this radio prior to 7/29/2013, and no evidence of a lifetime subscription. i argued with them for 2 hours but basically they called me a liar and said i never had xm until 7/29/2013, when they for some unknown, incredibly mysterious reason decided to activate the account for a trial, after 7 years of inactivity!!!???!!! after another hour of arguing on a different night, xm made up some story, without providing any documentation, complete bs, but basically they said the car never had a lifetime subscription, it only had a short-term demo subscription, but they forgot to turn off the demo for 7 years. i asked them to send me some proof of that and of course they lied and said that that was private information... Show more

tcstom

Oct 11, 2013

I agree that many of us who have been frustrated by the lack of options for updating or upgrading share some responsibilty for not reading fine print in a contract. Having said that it seems more than a little disingenuous for sxm to sell a "lifetime" subscription that by the very nature of the contract exceptions and limitations guarantees that most users will not truly get to enjoy a lifetime of radio service. In retrospect I guess it is a risk to prepay for a long term service from a company whos future is sketchy. The good news is that in 2013 there are plenty of alternatives for streaming for most of us.

Aug 30, 2013

In 2010 I was offered a lifetime subscription which I paid for. The representative knew the radio was dealer installed and did not tell me I could not transfer the lifetime subscription. No contract was provided to review. This is a great example of how to generate a poor customer image. I will now make it my business to spread the word on this shameful company.

P.Off

Aug 24, 2013 New Berlin, Wisconsin

I purchased a lifetime XM subscription for $500 in August 2009. The lifetime subscription contract states I can transfer the service as many times as I wanted to, to any device for free. Now, August 2013, I traded my car and wanted to transfer my subscription to the new car.

When I inquired about this process, the customer service rep told me "lifetime subscriptions aren't transferable, they no longer offer them and discounts/refunds are Not offered to customers like me who purchase another car and want Sirius/XM service".

I have my contract from 2009. Sirrius never notified me of the change when they merged. The customer service rep stated they are not responsible for customers not obtaining or reading the company's license. After the merger, due to changes in bundling policies, some customers who had purchased lifetime subscriptions had their service reduced or canceled, and were unable to obtain a refund.

I am very angry and have learned my lesson: I will not subscribe / pay for any Sirius XM service in the future. My new vehicle comes with several Internet-based radio services, who needs Sirius/XM!

bill

Aug 14, 2013 Oldsmar, Florida

I've bought my lifetime subscription back in 2006-2007 when Sirius was hurting for cash. I was about to cancel my subscription when they told me about the lifetime subscription for a few hundred dollars. I definitely have gotten my monies worth. I've just transferred my subscription for a second time, so I have more swap left. If all goes well I'll get 15 years out of this lifetime subscription saving $2200 vs the having to pay the monthly subscription. SiriusXM should definately bring the program back for $999 with 3 transfers. They get the money from you up front and you get to enjoy Sirius for 15 years.

3 1 Reply
JJ1

Aug 08, 2013

YES you can --

Is my Lifetime subscription transferable?

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription

Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.

Once a lifetime subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play radio is transferred to a radio installed by an automaker or dealer, the subscription becomes non-transferable. Otherwise, Lifetime subscriptions associated with a home, portable or dock & play radio can be transferred a maximum of three times, for a fee.*

Please call 1-866-635-2349 to make the transfer. Read more about Lifetime Plans in our Customer Agreement. Please note that Lifetime subscriptions are no longer being offered to new subscribers.

*There is a $75 fee for each permitted transfer.

2 1 Reply
tony

Jul 17, 2013 Austin, Texas

I think it is a case of misrepresentation and there needs to be a class action lawsuit against them.

Dec 05, 2013

^^^^^^
Must be a lawyer! Read the fine print and you will not have any issues.

1 0 Reply
Gotta ask the right questions

Jun 26, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also signed up for the lifetime subscription before the merger. I wanted to sign my wife's new vehicle with the same but found it no longer offered. When I signed up it was known to me it was for the current vehicle only and not transferable. I don't think Sirius/XM would stay in business too long if everyone signed up for the lifetime membership transferable... :zzz :zzz

Dealer

Jun 01, 2013

Great deal until your car gets totaled.

I would not get lifetime, unless its a brand new car and you plan to drive it for 10 years+

1 0 Reply
Jim

Jun 28, 2013 Houston, Texas

They are scam artists. Don't give them your credit card because it is impossible to get them to stop billing you after you sign up. They can not be reached for terminatin of service. I had to threaten to sue via my attorney. Then six months later they turned it over to a collection agent. Again my attorney contacted them and this time and at this step they stopped harassing me. Wait and see. They are not ethical.

READ THE FINE PRINT

Jun 01, 2013

According to the Customer Agreement 5. e.

"A lifetime satellite radio subscription (which is a subscription that continues for the life of the receiver) is not transferable if it is associated with a RECEIVER INSTALLED BY AN AUTOMAKER..."

Read the print!

May 09, 2013 Minneapolis, Minnesota

I know its hard for some people, but you need to read the print, not think what you want. Simple as that. Sirius is 100% right with their program.

2 1 Reply

1-20 of 40 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
Filing a new complaint about
×